Our Pick of the Best Palm Routers On the Market
Palm routers are a natural fit for many at-home woodworkers because they offer superb control and comfort when compared to the competition. These models are also very powerful, so users aren’t losing out in the power department in most cases.
DEWALT DWP611PK 1.25 HP Max Torque Variable Speed Compact Router Combo Kit with LED’s
Our favorite for 2017
Bosch PR20EVSK Colt Palm Grip 5.6 Amp 1-Horsepower Fixed-Base Variable-Speed Router
A great value option
DEWALT DWP611 1.25 HP Max Torque Variable Speed Compact Router
Features dual LED’s and clear sub-base
If you like to maintain full control during your project, a trim router or palm router will offer this and so much more.
A few of the things you’ll want to consider that will make a difference when making your purchase are:
- Speed Control: The speed at which your router cuts, in rpms (revolutions per minute) should be able to be adjusted. The greater the range, the better. Slower speeds are needed when making precision cuts, while faster speeds hurry projects along. Fast speeds also offer cleaner cuts, but they can damage some woods, too.
- Bit Height: The bit height adjustment is important, too. This will allow you to adjust the depth of the cuts, which is a must-have for any woodworking project.
- Combo Kits: A combo kit will allow for versatility when making cuts. This will allow a palm router to be transformed into a full-size router, which is an option that a lot of experts prefer.
- Horsepower: Most routers will fall between 1 HP and 3.5 HP in power. Users don’t want to hit the maximum HP for long periods of time in fear of damaging the motor in the process.
There’s a lot that goes into picking the right wood router, and we’ve done our best to mention the most pertinent features in the reviews of the top models on the market listed below.
Our Picks for the Best Palm Router for Wood Router Projects
Bosch 1617EVSPK Router – The Bosch 1617EVSPK is a great all-around router that is often sold without a guide or table, but these can also be purchased in combos. This model packs immense power into a compact design and offers 2-1/4 HP with speeds of 8,000 – 25,000 RPMs.
An aluminum construction and a wood handle allow for comfort and durability.
Micro-fine adjustments are offered, allowing for precision cuts at all time. A plunge base chip shield is included for safety, and 1/2” – 1/4” self-releasing collet chucks are offered. There are bit changes wrenches, allowing for 16mm – 24mm changes.
Soft-start is featured to reduce initial torque on start up.
DEWALT DWP611PK Router – The DEWALT DWP611PK is an extremely afttainable model, and since it’s made by Dewalt, you know it’s a quality product. This router boasts a 1.25 HP motor that delivers absolute power with every cut, and variable speeds range from 16,000 – 27,000 rpm.
Electronic feedback is provided full-time to help maintain speeds during cuts.
Dual LED lights allow for enhanced visibility when making cuts, and adjustable rings allow for bit depth changes within 1/64” – talk about precision. Depth of up to 1.5” can be achieved, and a three-year warranty protects your investment if there are any defects when purchased.
DEWALT DWP611 Router – The DEWALT DWP611 router is a lot like our previous option, which make it a great choice for the budget-friendly shopper. This unit also offers a powerful, 1.25 HP motor along with variable speed control with bit speed for the utmost in optimization when making your cuts.
A soft-start feature is offered, and real-time feedback helps this model maintain speeds even during a difficult cut.
Bit depth can be adjusted in 1/64” increments, and the same dual LED function illuminates your path when using this router. Maximum RPMS reach 27,000 on this model, and it’s sized just right: not too big and not too small.
Bosch PR20EVSK Colt Palm Grip Router – The Bosch PR20EVSK Colt Palm Grip is a mid-range item, and this model is faster than any of the other models on our list. Featuring a 1 HP, 5.6 Amp motor, this model allows for speeds of 15,000 – 35,000 rpm.
Aluminum construction and soft grip keeps user’s hands comfortable during use.
This model also offers a variable speed with a palm grip, quick-lock system and soft-start. Constant response allows for speed to be maintained under a load, and this model offers the highest power allowed in a small palm router. It’s a great router for the budget-friendly or first-time user.
Bosch PR20EVSPK 5.6-Amp Colt Router – The Bosch PR20EVSPK 5.6-Amp Colt is so popular that it often runs out of stock quickly. This router is mid to high range, and it’s an improved version of our previous pick. This model offers a 7-step adjustable depth with fine adjustment options.
Variable speed controls allow you to maintain the utmost in control during every project.
The quick clamp system allows for a quick transition from base to base without needing to pull out tools every time. A soft-grip area offers extreme comfort and helps to eliminate vibrations when cutting. The motor features 1 HP of power, and rpms range from 16,000 – 35,000.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Right Palm Router for You
The best compact router on the market is often not the same for each user. Sure, there are some routers that trump all others in terms of quality of function, but you’ll pay a high price for these features. And if you don’t have a use for these fancy features, it makes little sense to spend money on them.
With that in mind, you’ll need to be able to pick a model that is right for you.
This is obviously a personal preference and delicate process, but if you keep the following points in mind, you’ll be able to choose a palm router that’s perfect for your projects:
- Price: Set a budget when going to buy your router. Routers vary from low to high range, and the wide range of prices may leave you paying more than you can afford for a router. Starting with a budget will help you narrow down your choices drastically.
- Palm vs Full-Size: People that need to do trim work are going to want to use a palm router. The main difference here is size and control. Palm routers are easier to control and provide comfort that a full-size model can’t. If you’re working on bigger projects, a full size router may be needed.
- Size: The size and weight of the router needs to be considered, too. This can make a huge difference when working on a woodworking project. If the size is too big for your hands or too heavy, you’ll find that it’s uncomfortable and makes working on wood much more difficult.