Check Out Our Air Compressor Buying Guide Before You Make a Purchase!
Air compressors are an essential tool on most job sites, but there are times when a small 4-gallon model is all you need. Portable models are easy to find, but how can you ensure you purchase a quality compressor?
Briggs & Stratton 4.5-Gallon Quiet Power Technology Air Compressor
Our favorite for 2017
Hyundai HHC4GAC 4 Gal. Vertical Style Electric Air Compressor with 7 Piece Blow Gun Kit and Threaded Hose
A very close runner-up
PORTER-CABLE PCFP02003 3.5-Gallon 135 PSI Pancake Compressor
3.5 gallon but a great compressor
To help make your decision easier, we’re going to share some of the top 4-gallon compressors on the market today. When comparing these models, keep the following things in mind:
- Tank Style: Does the compressor have a vertical, horizontal or twin-tank design? The design of the tank doesn’t necessarily affect its performance, but it does have an impact on the compressor’s portability. Choose a style that suits your needs best.
- Air Flow Rate: The air flow rate determines the power and efficiency of the compressor. A higher flow rate generates more power, but may not offer as long of a run time as a model with a lower flow rate.
- Quality: The quality of the compressor is one of the most important things to consider when comparing models. Obviously, you want a quality compressor, but judging quality can be difficult when you can’t take it for a test drive. One way to judge quality is by the brand’s reputation. Reputable brands put out quality products (typically), so choosing a model from a well-known and respected brand is a great place to start. Also, look at user reviews for the product. If users have great things to say about the compressor, it’s likely a good choice. If the compressor has numerous complaints, it may not be the ideal option.
The Best Portable Air Compressor Reviews for 2017
Briggs & Stratton Quiet Power Compressor – The Briggs & Stratton 4.5-gallon model is the best small air compressor from this brand, and it’s easy to see why: it’s quiet. This model is 80% quieter than other Briggs & Stratton air compressors.
It also has a 3-times longer lifespan than other models from this brand.
The oil-free pump adds to the durability of this air compressor, while the solid rugged wheels and collapsible handle make this model extremely portable.
A 1 HP motor gives this model plenty of power, and the integrated control panels makes it easy to get up and running. Delivering 2.4 CFM at 90 PSI, this compressor is highly efficient.
Conveniences like a built-in storage box and limited vibration make this model a great buy for both commercial and residential consumers.
Hyundai HHC4GAC – The Hyundai HHC4GAC is a great air compressor for light jobs and home use. Featuring a vertical design, this model is easily transportable and has a user-friendly design.
Buyers will also appreciate the included 25′ threaded hose and seven-piece blow gun kit.
The slim vertical design takes up minimal space and allows for easy storage in between uses. The ergonomic handle also allows for easy transport, while the angled interface makes it easy to see the controls at a glance.
Two industry-standard quick couplers are included, and this model also comes with a convenient storage pocket.
Operating at just 68 dB, this air compressor is a great option if you want an ultra-quiet model.
Porter-Cable PCFP02003 – The PCFP02003 from Porter-Cable is actually a pancake compressor, but features a 3.5 gallon tank. From one of the most respected brands in the industry, this model is a great option for professionals.
The tank features a maximum pressure of 135 PSI and has a 2.0 SCFM at 90 PSI for longer run times and quicker recoveries.
The oil-free pump makes this model long-lasting and virtually maintenance-free. And with a weight of just 26 pounds, you can easily take this compressor wherever you go.
The low-AMP, 120V motor is easy to start, even in cold weather. This compressor also comes with a pre-installed quick coupler for easy access to regulated air.
Powermate Dolly Air Compressor – The Powermate dolly air compressor features a 4-gallon tank and telescoping handle for the utmost in portability.
This compressor features an easy-access control panel, with two gauges and a control knob in easy reach. This is a twin-tank model with a user-friendly design.
The back wheels and extending handle make it easy to move this compressor from one place – or job site – to another. Quiet operation and a powerful motor make this model a great choice for both commercial and home use.
A rugged, durable design and convenient features make this compressor a great option for people who need portability above all else.
B E Pressure A204 Horizontal Compressor – The A204 compressor from B E Pressure is a horizontal model with a pancake-style tank. Weighing just 22.7 pounds, this model is one the lightest in its class.
A 2 HP, 120V motor provides this single-stage compressor with plenty of power. The A204 has a 5.3 CFM at 40 PSI and a 4 CFM at 90 PSI. All controls are within easy reach for simple, easy use.
For maximum durability and efficiency, this model features an oil-lubricated pump and a cast iron pump cylinder.
If you’re looking for a compressor with a compact, vertical design, the AC204 from B E Pressure is a great option.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Right Four Gallon Air Compressor for You
Finding a good air compressor isn’t easy, but knowing what to look for can help you find a model that fits your needs. Quality, air flow rate and tank style are three things to consider, but here are a few more:
- Ease of Use: How easy is it to use the compressor? A user-friendly model is the best option. No one wants to spend an extra hour trying to figure out how to get the compressor up and running or how to use its features. Ideally, you’ll choose a model with an easy-to-reach control panel. User-friendliness is especially important when working on a commercial job site.
- Motor: What type of motor does the compressor have, and is it powerful enough to get the job done? Information on the motor can be found in the product description, so make sure you pay attention to this information.
- Portability: Is the compressor portable? If so, is it easily portable? Some models have telescoping handles that make it easy to move it from one place to another. Others are lightweight and compact in size. If portability is important to you or necessary for the job site, make sure the model is light and easy to move.
- Cost: The cost of the compressor will likely be the deciding factor when you choose a model. But don’t let it be the only factor. Quality is more important than cost, especially if you’re a professional. It’s still important to set a budget and stick to it, but do make sure that you choose the best quality compressor you can afford.