Let Us Help You Find the Best Battery Powered Grass Trimmer On the Market
When it comes to your yard, it’s important to have a nicely trimmed lawn that catches everyone’s eye. Not everyone can afford professional landscapers, and with a battery powered grass trimmer, no one needs to hire professional landscapers.
BLACK+DECKER LST136W 40V Max Lithium String Trimmer
Our favorite for 2017
BLACK+DECKER LST220 12-Inch 20-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless GrassHog Trimmer/Edger
A great value option
WORX WG175 32-volt Lithium MAX Cordless Grass Trimmer and Edger with Wheel Set
Long runtime with 32-volt lithium power battery
You can quickly trim and edge your landscape with one device – minus the high cost.
Weeds and brush can be quickly eliminated with a string trimmer, allowing you to take joy in maintaining your own lawn. But if you’ve never purchased a string trimmer before, you likely don’t know what to look for when buying one.
We’ve done the tedious task of trying to find the best weed wacker, but there are some key important things you need to consider, too:
- Battery Life: A low battery life of under 20 minutes will suffice for smaller yards and condos. If you have a larger yard, you’ll need a longer battery life. This is why many professionals use gas powered models because they never know how large a yard may be.
- Automatic Feed: An automatic feed ensures less string breakage and also makes using a string trimmer easier. Most homeowners that don’t want to fuss with bumping a string will find that the automatic feed option is a great investment.
- 2-in-1 or 3-in-1 Design: Most, but not all, string trimmers will offer 2-in-1 options, or a trimmer / edging There is one item on our list below that lets you mow the lawn, too, but with a small swatch radius, this may be impractical for larger yards.
Our Pick for the Best Battery Powered Weed Wacker
BLACK+DECKER LST136W Review – Black+Decker is an industry icon, and the company offers one of the best cordless grass trimmer lineups in the industry. A 40V lithium battery allows for long-lasting trimming with a PowerCommand dial to choose between maximum power (great for thick weeds) or max runtime.
An automatic feed ensures you never have to bump again, allowing for continuous trimming.
When it comes time to do edges, this unit converts to an edger for a truly trim yard. A weight of just 9.9 pounds allows for easy carry. The battery lasts 1 – 2 hours, depending on which setting you have the unit on.
This is a string trimmer that is perfect for small and medium-sized yards.
BLACK+DECKER LST220 Review – Ideal for the budget-friendly shopper, the LST220 is a 12-inch trimmer that can quickly perform edging work with a turn of a shaft. This model is powered by a 20V battery (half the power of the previous model), but it delivers more power thanks to the PowerDrive Transmission.
Forget about bumping with the automatic spool feed.
Super light, this model weighs 5.2 pounds, which makes it perfect for users of all ages. Two batteries are included, and the battery takes 4 – 5 hours to charge.
The battery life is less than 20 minutes, making this the right trimmer for smaller yards.
Toro 51487 24-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless String Trimmer Review – Toro’s 51487 is a trimmer/edger combo with an auto feed system and power saving mode, which is ideal for bigger yards. Wall mount storage is possible thanks to the wall mount hooks included, and an extended shaft allows for trimming minus bending over for hours.
The battery is 24V, and the unit comes with a charger.
Line length is able to be adjusted from 12” to 10” for power saving. The soft grip handle is comfortable, and the unit weighs around 8 pounds. Battery life is just 10 – 12 minutes in most cases, making this unit the right choice for smaller yards.
WORX WG175 32-volt Lithium Review – Worx impresses with this grass and edger set. This model is a mid-range unit, but its 3-in-1 design makes it an enticing choice. This model features a wheel set, which allows it to act as a lawn mower, too.
A 12” cutting diameter is offered, and the battery is 32V.
The single line feed is 100% automatic and doesn’t require bumping. A quick-release is offered for height adjustments. You can also adjust the tilting shaft up to 90 degrees. Weight is a super light 6.2 pounds.
Battery life is up to 35 minutes on slow. The wheels make trimming and edging far easier – perfect for older users or anyone tired of sore shoulders after weed whacking.
DEWALT DCST920P1 20V Review – The final model on our list comes from Dewalt – one of the biggest names in the world. A brushless motor design adds to the durability and efficiency of this model while it can cut a 13” swath.
Trigger speeds and controls are offered as well as a bump feed (non-automatic).
A 20V battery is included, and the weight of this model is 8.5 pounds. A mid to high-end item, this trimmer’s battery life is longer than most, and you won’t have an issue trimming 1/2 – 1 acre of land at a time.
This is a highly durable, long-lasting trimmer ideal for high-end weed whacking or larger yards.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Right Battery Powered String Trimmer for You
You’re almost ready to make your purchase, but you’re stuck trying to decide which model to choose. This is something that we’ve spent a lot of time trying to decide ourselves, so we know how difficult it can be to pick the right model for your needs.
There is a lot that goes into the decision process:
- Yard size
- User strength and age
An experienced landscaper may not need an automatic feed system, but a person that has never used a string trimmer will appreciate the automatic feed and lack of bumping.
A few points that will make your decision easier are:
- Price: String trimmers that are more expensive may not even have more features, but they’re better made, allowing them to be used for years without worrying that they’ll break in the process.
- Size: The size isn’t as much of a concern as the weight of the unit. Ten pounds may be light for the first ten minutes, but then the weight will begin to put strain on your muscles, making it uncomfortable to carry. You may want to consider height adjustments, especially if you’re a taller person, as bending over to remove weeds is not fun.
- Type: Battery-powered string trimmers are ideal for small to medium-sized yards. This is because they don’t require cords or gas. But large yards will take longer to trim, and a low battery life can cause you to have to stop and charge the unit, which is an inconvenience. Buying additional batteries (some models come with them) will allow you to trim even larger yards with a battery-powered string trimmer.