How to Choose the Right Gerber Multitool for You
Gerber has been in the knives and multitool business for 77 years. Headquartered in Tigard, Oregon, the brand is one of the most respected in industry. If you’re thinking of buying a Gerber multitool, there’s no question that you’ll be getting a high quality product. But how do you find the right model for your needs?
Gerber Diesel Multi-Plier
Our favorite for 2017
Gerber Suspension Multi-Plier
A great value option
Gerber MP400 Compact Sport Multi-Plier
A brilliant tool
When comparing models, here are some of the key things to keep in mind:
- Functions: How many functions does the tool offer? More doesn’t necessarily equal better. It’s more important to make sure that your needs are met, so make note of how many tools each model comes with, and whether you actually have use for that function.
- Size: Multitools take up less space than full-size versions of all the tools they offer, but still, some models can be bulky. If portability is a concern or you’re short on space, make sure that the tool is compact and lightweight.
- Reviews: While you shouldn’t base your entire decision on customer reviews, it does help to know what other users think of the tool. Is it sturdy? Are the tools reliable and effective? These are all important thing to consider when comparing Gerber multitools – or any product for that matter.
These three key things need to be kept in mind when looking at multitool models. After taking the time to compare the best-selling Gerber models on the market, we’ve rounded up the five best multitools you can buy from this well-known brand.
The Top 5 Gerber Tools for 2017
These five Gerber multitools are durable, affordable and backed by positive customer reviews.
Diesel Multi-Plier – The Diesel Multi-Plier boasts 12 functions and a sleek matte black look. Made form high quality stainless steel, this tool includes: needlnose pliers, saw, file, scissors, can opener, cross point screwdriver, bottle opener, partially-serrated knife, wire cutter and 3 screwdrivers (small, medium and large).
All of these functions make the Diesel a great multitool, but its compact design is its true selling point. When not in use, you can fold up this multi-plier for easy and convenient storage or transport. And for added safety, this tool features the patented Saf.T.Plus system, so it stays closed.
With lock and sliding buttons, this tool is so easy to use, and it comes at a price that’s hard to beat. It only makes sense for the Diesel to top our list of multitools – it’s the perfect combination of durability, versatility and affordability.
Suspension Multi-Plier – If you’re on a tighter budget, but still need an array of functions, the Suspension is a great option. This model comes with 12 integrated components, and also features the Saf.T.Plus system for added safety.
The Suspension features: needlenose pliers, scissors, straight blade, Philips screwdriver, serrated blade, wire cutter, large and medium flathead screwdrivers, bottle opener, awl, saw, can opener, and lanyard ring.
Made with durable stainless steel, this model has a sleek butterfly design, and comes with a nylon sheath for added protection on the go.
When closed, the Suspension spans just 4 inches, and weighs just 9.6 oz. A fantastic budget option and backed by a limited lifetime warranty, this model is a great choice if the Diesel is out of your price range.
MP600 Multi-Plier – Need more than just 12 tools? The MP600 Multi-Plier is one of Gerber’s most versatile models with 14 locking tools in one simple device.
The MP600’s components include: fine-edge knife, needlenose pliers, large flat driver, Philips driver, serrated knife, ruler, small flat driver, medium flat driver, file, bottle opener, wire cutters, lanyard ring, can opener and wire crimper.
Made from high quality stainless steel, this tool features a matte black oxide coating to further prevent rusting and maximize durability.
One-handed deployment makes it easy to use the MP600 in just about any situation, and Gerber even includes a nylon sheath for safe keeping.
If you need more tools than the first two models, offer the MP600 is the clear choice.
Grylls Ultimate Multi-Tool – The Grylls Ultimate Multi-Tool was inspired by Bear Grylls of the Man vs. Wild television show. With 12 functions, a spring-loaded jaw and the Saf.T.Plus system, this is one of the best multitools in Gerber’s lineup.
The 12 stainless steel components are weatherproof and include: fine edge blade, needlenose pliers, serrated knife, small flat driver, medium flat driver, a saw, Philips screwdriver, can opener, scissors, bottle opener, lanyard ring, and wire cutters.
When open, the tool spans just 6-3/10 inches (4 inches when closed) and weighs just 8-4/5 ounces. The spring-loaded jaw allows for one-handed use, and the ergonomic rubber grip ensures that this tool won’t slip in wet weather.
If you’re looking for a multitool that can double as a survival tool, the Bear Grylls model is the right choice.
MP400 Compact Sport Muti-Plier – With 11 useful tools, the MP400 is one of the most affordable options on our list, and features an ultra-compact design. Included with this tool is: needlenose pliers, wire cutter, scissors, wire crimper, a variety of screwdrivers, serrated blade, bottle opener, can opener and more.
Like other Gerber models, the MP400 has the Saf.T.Plus locking system for added safety when the tool isn’t in use. The tool itself is made of durable stainless steel, so your tools stay sharp and resistant to corrosion.
When closed, this tool spans jut 5.75 inches long and 1.2 inches wide. Weighing just 6 ounces, this is one of Gerber’s most compact and lightweight multitools.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Best Multi Purpose Tool from the Extensive Range Provided By Gerber
We’ve provided you with five great Gerber multitools, but how do you know which one to choose? Buying a multitool is a personal decision, but there are several factors that you need to consider when choosing a model that will suit your needs:
- Your Needs: First – and most importantly – the tool needs to include all of the components you need. If you need more versatility, consider the MP600, which offers 14 functions. If you need something simple, the second or last model will work perfectly.
- Your Budget: The cost of the tool will likely be the deciding factor for you. Stay within your budget, but don’t just choose the least expensive model. Quality is the most important thing because you’ll wind up spending more in the long run if the tool breaks after a handful of uses.
- Safety Features: Most multitools are folding models, which means that they come with the same risks as folding knives: accidental deployment. Look for models that have some kind of safety locking mechanism in place, so you never have to worry about your tool accidently opening while in your back pocket. Ideally, the tool will not only have a locking feature, but also come with a sheath for added protection.
- Warranty: All of Gerber’s models are backed by a limited lifetime warranty, which adds peace of mind. Not all multitool manufacturers offer warranties, so if you decide to buy from another brand in the future, check to see what type of warranty or guarantee they offer.