Our Guide to Finding the Ultimate Leatherman Multitool
Leatherman is a multitool manufacturer that has been in the industry since 1983. The company started out selling the PST, Pocket Survival Tool, and has been at the forefront of the industry ever since.
Leatherman Wave Black Oxide Finish Multi Tool
Our favorite for 2017
Leatherman 830846 Skeletool 7-in-1 Multi-Tool
A great value option
Leatherman 830850 Skeletool CX Multitool
We all know that this brand offers some of the best quality and affordable multitools on the market, but how do you even begin comparing models to find the right one for you?
- Uses: How many functions does the tool offer? Does it include all of the functions you need? Decide whether you want something simple, or a tool that can do it all. More tools may add versatility, but it may be overkill if you only need a few tools.
- Weight and size: The whole idea behind a multitool is that it save space and is easy to carry. If you choose a model that’s bulky and heavy, there’s a good chance that you won’t want to take it with you on the go. Make sure that the Leatherman tool you choose is lightweight and compact enough to meet your needs.
- Quality: The quality of the tool is a natural concern. Fortunately, Leatherman is known for creating high quality tools, so you can be sure that you’re investing in a multitool that will give you years of use.
Quality, size and versatility are of the utmost importance. But nearly all of Leatherman’s multitools meet these requirements. To make it easier to find the right tool for your needs, we’ve handpicked five of the best-selling models by Leatherman.
The 5 Best Leatherman Multitools in 2017
These five Leatherman models are versatile, durable and affordable.
Wave Black Oxide Finish – The Leatherman new Wave multitool is incredibly durable and offers an impressive 17 tools. Made with 420HC stainless steel, this tool features a black oxide coating for even more rust and corrosion protection.
The Wave includes: needlenose pliers, standard pliers, 420HC fine edge knife, ruler, 420HC serrated knife, wire cutters, wire stripper, can opener, spring-actions scissors, saw, bottle opener, diamond-coated file, wood file, medium screwdriver, small bit driver, large bit driver and hard-wire cutters.
All of these tools are included in one compact, lightweight design, so you can take the Wave with you wherever you go.
And if that weren’t enough to sway you, the Wave is backed by a 25-year warranty.
Skeletool CX – The Skeletool CX comes with 7 handy tools and a unique, sleek design. Spanning four inches in length and weighing just 5 ounces, this tool is one of the most portable in the Leatherman lineup.
Included with this tool is: standard pliers, needlenose pliers, wire cutters, large bit driver, 154CM knife, bottle opener, and hard-wire cutters.
The stainless steel handles feature a carbon fiber handle scale as well as a Tungsten DLC coating for added scratch resistance.
The great thing about this tool is that the blades are outside accessible, so you can use it just like a pocket knife when needed. And it can quickly be opened with just one hand.
If you’re in the market for a basic multitool, the Skeletool CX is one of the best options from Leatherman.
Skeletool – The original Skeletool from Leatherman. Sleek and easy to use, this model also includes seven tools. What’s the difference between the original and the CX? The original doesn’t have the added protective coating on the handle.
The Skeletool includes the following tools: standard pliers, needlenose pliers, wire cutters, hard-wire cutters, 420HC knife, large bit driver and bottle opener.
Like other Leatherman multitools, this model folds up for easy storage and transport. It’s lightweight and compact, too, so you can take with you wherever you go.
Leatherman gives you the option of buying this model alone or with a sheath. The sheath adds a little extra to the price tag, but is worth the cost for the added protection.
831548 Rebar – Just like our first pick (the Wave), the Rebar offers 17 tools in one simple multitool device, including: standard pliers, needlenose pliers, hard-wire cutters, wire cutters, wire stripper, electrical crimper, serrated knife, saw, fine edge knife, ruler, awl with thread loop, bottle opener, can opener, Philips screwdriver, wood/metal file, small screwdriver and medium screwdriver.
If you’re looking for a tool that offers versatility, the Rebar fits the bill. And this tool is built to last. The knives are made of 420HC stainless steel, which maximizes durability. The wire cutters are made from 154CM stainless steel, which is highly resistant to corrosion and holds its edge far longer than 420 stainless steel.
All in all, this is a highly versatile tool that’s durable and offers exceptional quality.
830039 Wave – What’s the difference between the 830039 Wave and our first pick? For starters, the 830039 doesn’t have a black oxide coating, which maximizes rust and corrosion resistance. But that doesn’t stop this model from being one of the best in the Leatherman lineup.
Included with the 830039 Wave is: needlenose pliers, standard pliers, serrated knife, wire cutters, clip-point knife, hard-wire cutters, wood/metal file, saw, scissors, large screwdriver, diamond-coated file, large bit driver, can opener, ruler, lanyard attachment and wire stripper.
In total, there are 17 tools, and each one is crafted with 420HC stainless steel for the utmost in durability and resistance.
Buyer’s Guide – What Is The Best Leatherman Multi Tool You Can Buy?
We’ve narrowed the list down to five of the top-selling Leatherman multitools. Now it’s up to you to find the one that best suits your needs. But how do you do that? What should you be on the lookout for?
- Needs: When looking at any multitool, it’s important to make sure that it includes all of the features you need. How many tools does the model offer, and do you have use for all of the tools? If you’re looking for something basic that will include nearly all of the tools you could need for simple tasks, the Skeletool and Skeletool CX are great options. If you need more versatility, consider the Wave models.
- Budget: Your budget is one of the most important considerations. Don’t spend more than you can afford on a multitool, but don’t sacrifice quality by choosing an inferior model. The good news is that all of Leatherman’s multitools are built with high quality materials, so you can rest assured that you’re investing in a good tool that will last you years – decades even.
- Ease of Use: No one wants a multitool that’s difficult to use. You know, the models that have tools that are impossible to deploy. All of the Leatherman tools listed above are designed for one-handed use, so your tools are always within reach and easily accessible. Not all manufacturers can say that about their products.
- Practical: Make sure that all of the included functions are practical ones – or ones that you will actually There’s no sense in buying a multitool that includes a ruler or wire crimper if you don’t need one; these extra functions usually come at a higher price. Look for a model that includes just the features you need (whenever possible).