How to Find the Ideal Grass Trimmer After 2015
If you have a yard, you likely have a lawn mower to help you keep it nice and tidy. But a weed wacker or grass trimmer will allow you more control and precision when trying to maintain your lawn.
BLACK+DECKER LST136W 40V Max Lithium String Trimmer
Our favorite for 2017
Black & Decker ST7700 13-Inch 4.4 amp Automatic Feed String Trimmer and Edger
A great value option
WORX WG175 32-volt Lithium MAX Cordless Grass Trimmer and Edger with Wheel Set
An easy-to-use weed eater
Affordable and easy to use, a weed wacker is a good investment for every homeowner, but there are a lot of models and types on the market.
How do you choose? A few of the main points to consider are:
- Corded vs Cordless vs Gas: There are three types of string trimmers on the market. Corded is good for smaller yards, while cordless refers to battery operated models. Battery-powered models are eco-friendly, but suffer in power and runtime. Gas is the go-to choice for larger yards and professional landscapers because they offer optimal power and long runtimes.
- Design Options: The vast majority of weed wackers can also double as an edger, which provides more versatility when working on your yard. The one model on our list even includes wheels, which allows it to truly act like a lawn mower.
- Automatic Line Feed: Any homeowner that will be maintaining their own yard without prior experience will find bumping the line to be rather confusing and a hassle. The automatic line feed will allow for the line to be bumped automatically, which is certainly an added convenience.
We’ve done the hard work and chosen five different weed trimmers that are among the best on the market this year. Each of these models has been reviewed for your own convenience.
Our Picks for the Best Weed Trimmer
Black & Decker ST7700 Review – The ST7700 may not be the most durable weed trimmer on the planet (it is still durable), but for a budget item, it offers great quality and a price point anyone can afford. Weighing just 4.5 pounds, this model can be used as a trimmer and quickly converted to an edger to ensure your yard is neat.
Cord retention guards are in place so that the trimmer doesn’t get unplugged, and there is a built in auxiliary handle to reduce strain on your wrists.
Producing 10,000 RPM, heavy weeds and grass are quickly eliminated with the ST7700. With a 13-inch path, this is a trimmer for yards small and large.
WORX WG175 32-volt Review – A rugged, durable cordless string trimmer, the WG175 offers 32 volts of wireless operation and 3-in-1 function. You can use this model to trim, edge or mow your lawn thanks to the wheeled design.
The cutting diameter is 12”, allowing for quick cutting, and there is a 100% automatic, single line feed, so you never have to worry about bumping.
Height adjustments are able to be made thanks to the quick-release feature, and the shaft offers 90-degree tilting action. A mid to high end item, this is a great trimmer for anyone that doesn’t want to be attached to a corded model.
You’ll easily trim over ½ an acre of land with some battery life remaining.
Husqvarna 128LD 17-Inch Straight Review – The 128LD is a straight shaft model that has a 28cc engine and uses a 0.95 diameter line. And if you’re looking for a professional string trimmer, this is what you’ll get with this Husqvarna model.
Attachments are able to be used, and the unit is in the mid to high range.
Bumping is required to release more line, and the gas exhaust is on the right side of the unit. Gas is preferred when trimming larger yards because it allows for long-term usage without worrying about cords or batteries dying in the process.
Powerful, this trimmer will be able to cut through thick foliage and grass with ease.
BLACK+DECKER LST136W 40V Review – Want a cordless string trimmer with a lot of power? The LST136W is the right choice. Black& Decker offers a 40V lithium-powered string trimmer with a dial that allows you to choose between max runtime or power, so you’re in complete control over your trimming.
The PowerDrive Transmission was designed from the ground up to deliver more power to the motor to obliterate even the thickest weeds.
An automatic line feed allows you to never have to worry about feed bumping. A turn of the shaft converts this model from a trimmer to an edger to meet all of your landscaping needs. This is our top pick for a powerful cordless string trimmer.
BLACK+DECKER LST420 20-volt Max Lithium Review – The LST420 is the final model on our list, and it’s a mid-range machine. This model is a trimmer/edger combo that allows you to landscape your yard to perfection. The 20V battery produces a shorter battery life than our previous model, but there are two batteries included, which is a bonus.
An automatic feed spool allows for trimming with no need to bump the line when in use.
Dual mode technology allows users to switch between high performance operation and runtime. This is what allows you to trim a smaller yard or difficult areas with a more powerful trim, or you can trim large yards with a little less power.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Right Weed Whacker for You
Which weed whacker is the right choice for you? There are a lot of variables that will lead you to find the perfect model for you. And many of these variables you’ve probably overlooked during your search – it happens to all of us.
The good news is that when you know exactly what to consider when making your purchase, it makes the whole process much easier.
A few of the most important things to consider are:
- Budget: You need to budget for a weed wacker, and high-end models can be pretty expensive. But if you’re on a smaller budget, you will suffer from lower power and possibly a shorter runtime.
- Lawn Size: How big is your yard? Corded models require an electric outlet, so smaller yards tend to be the best choice for these models. Battery powered models are good for 1/2 – 1 acre of land. Multiple batteries can be used to be able to trim an even larger area. Any yards larger than this will do best with gas models.
- Swath Size: The size of the swath is the area that will be able to be trimmed due to the size of the trimmer head. If you have a larger yard, the larger swath will mean you’ll spend less time walking around your lawn trying to trim all of it at once.
Weed whackers allow you to keep landscaping costs down while also providing you with further control of your land. The right weed whacker will provide years of use with little maintenance needed in the process.