Let Us Help You Find the Best Swiss Army Knife Ever after 2015
You’re looking for the best Swiss army knife for backpacking, and you hit a brick wall. What knife do you choose? What features do you need? Is this the best knife in this price range? These are all questions that you should be asking yourself, and we’ve done all the hard work for you by finding the top five best Swiss knife options on the market today.
Victorinox Swiss Army Rescue Tool
Our favorite for 2017
Victorinox Swiss Army Day Packer Utility Knife
A great value option
Victorinox Swiss Army Classic SD Pocket Knife
A classic multi-purpose knife
How did we choose these knives? We based our choices on the following criteria:
- Durability: The durability the Swiss knife is very important because you need to be able to withstand any situation. We did our best to choose a knife that was rated highly by other users, and offers extreme durability for unexpected situations.
- Function: We talk more about function below, but we tried to put a variety of different Swiss Army knives on our list because each has its own function. Some offer 13 different features, while one model on our list is just a plain, small Swiss Army knife.
- Price Range: The great thing about Swiss Army knives is that they are, for the most part, very affordable. You’ll need to choose a price range that is good for you, but I would say that you need to spend at least a budget to mid-range amout to get a decent knife for your collection.
The five models that we have chosen below have all been tested thoroughly, and they meet our stringent guidelines in terms of quality and functionality. And these are knives are made by some of the world’s best-known Swiss Army knife brands.
Victorinox Swiss Army Classic – The Classic from Victorinox is just that, a classic. This knife comes in several different designs from American flag to black, red or dozens of other choices. Compact and sturdy, this knife is made in Switzerland, and includes a blade for cutting, many scissors, a nail file that also acts as a screwdriver, metal tweezers, and a plastic toothpick.
Small in size, this model spans just 2.3 inches in length.
Just as the name suggests, this is a classic Swiss Army knife. This is the right choice if you want one of the smaller Swiss Army knives on the market.
Victorinox Rescue Tool Swiss Army Knife – Possibly the best knife on this list, the “rescue tool” only has one downfall: it’s a little more expensive than the other models on this list. But you’ll receive a luminescent grip shell that is made of sturdy nylon and a knife that was the winner of the IWA Knife of the Year Award in 2007.
This knife features: large locking blades, screwdrivers, crate opener, wire stripper, disc saw, and toothpick. In total, this model spans 4 inches in length.
You can even use this knife to break through glass, much like a hammer. There’s a bottle cap opener, and this knife comes with a very durable pouch that allows it to clip right onto your belt buckle. This would be my choice for the best Swiss army knife for backpacking.
Geralt 11-in-1 Premium Multi-Tool – An amazing multi-tool knife that is the best swiss knife for anyone on a tight budget. Why? This is a versatile Swiss army knife that is the perfect gift for anyone that likes to camp, fish or hunt. Built with stainless steel, this knife spans 3.5 inches in length and includes 11 great tools.
Included is a knife, saw, nail file, scissors, bottle opener, belt cutter, Phillips screwdriver, regular screwdriver, and toothpick. This model is exactly what you need in a dire situation.
As compact, budget package, this may be the best bargain Swiss army knife on our list. Not only is it durable, but it also includes so many different accessories that provide over 14 different functions. And this knife comes in a sleek steel tin that is perfect if you’re giving it as a gift.
13 Function Stainless Steel Small Folding Pocket Knife – Made by Valtev, this is a sturdy multi-tool Swiss army knife that offers stainless steel durability and 13 different functions. Small enough to fit in your pocket, the blade on this knife spans just 2.5 inches in length and is extra sharp. You’ll also find that this knife includes a nylon belt pouch to keep your knife secure at all times.
This model includes a regular blade, saw blade, seatbelt cutter, scissors, screwdriver, nail file, pick, LED flashlight (very impressive) and a corkscrew. There is even a hook and fish scale tool that is perfect for the avid hunter or fisherman.
We really love this knife, it’a definetly worth your time to check it put.
Victorinox Swiss Army Day Packer – This is a Swiss Army Day Packer that offers just a knife. You won’t get any extra accessories, but you will receive a very sturdy blade that can be used for a variety of different situations.
You’ll be able to use this tool for cutting, prying and piercing.
We would recommend buying this knife if you’re looking for a small knife that fits into the size categorization of the Army knife – it has no extra tools or accessories included. But I wanted to add a plain knife to the list for users that don’t need extra accessories.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Best Swiss Army Survival Knife for You
If you want the best Swiss knife, you need to know what you’re looking for. Our buying guide will help you find the best knife for you.
- Function Needs: Do you need just a knife and a saw, or will you need a knife that can also offer scissors, nail files, bottle openers and dozens of other features? You need to know the basic function necessities that you need in a knife.
- Price: In an ideal world, everyone would be able to buy a luxury knife, but this simply is not the case. You need to consider your current budget, and find the best knife in your price range.
- Size: Many people will need more of a survival knife than a Swiss Army knife. Keep in mind that Swiss Army knives are smaller in size, usually 4 inches or less in total length, and they can fit perfectly in your pocket or in a sheath on your belt.
We want to stressed the importance of knowing your function needs. The best Swiss army knife for backpacking probably does need to have the seatbelt cutter or a screwdriver, but these are a necessity for firefighters that need to remove people from burning vehicles.
So, when looking for your Swiss Army knife, consider all of the features and really determine if you need all these features, or if you can choose a less expensive knife that will suffice for your needs. But if you want a knife that can help you in any situation, I recommend a multifunction knife that includes every feature you can think of from an LED flashlight to screwdrivers and a seatbelt cutter.