Let Us Help You Find the Best 10 Gallon Compressor On the Market
Air compressors can be used for a variety of applications, but to get the job done right, you need a model with the right size tank. Sure, a 6-gallon model is portable, but may not be efficient enough for bigger jobs.
WEN 2289 10-Gallon Oil-Free Vertical Air Compressor
Our favorite for 2017
3.5HP 10-Gallon Pneumatic Portable Air Compressor With Tank
A very close runner-up
Speedway 52956 Air compressor with Pneumatic Tires
A great compressor
A 10-gallon air compressor is ideal for bigger jobs, like nailers, woodworking, painting and other similar tasks. But how do you know which compressor is the right choice for you?
To help make your decision easier, we’re going to review the top models on the market. Here are some things to keep in mind when comparing models.
- Air Flow Rate: Consider the air flow rates of the models you’re comparing. Check the CFM level at 90 PSI to see if it’s sufficient for your needs. This metric will give you an idea of the power and efficiency of the compressor.
- Portability: Another important thing to consider is the portability of the compressor. Some models are lighter and more compact with handles and wheels that make it easy to move from one point to another. Other models are bigger, heavier and designed to remain stationary. If you’re in need of a portable model, you’ll need to seriously consider the size, weight and shape of the compressor.
- Tank Shape: What type of tank does the compressor have? Is the tank vertical or horizontal? Horizontal models tend to be more portable and come equipped with wheels and handles that make it easy to move. Vertical models can also be portable, but tend to be more difficult to maneuver.
Reviews – The Best Air Compressor for the Money in 2017
WEN 2289 – The WEB 2289 is a 10-gallon air compressor made with reinforced steel to deliver a maximum pressure of 150 PSI. Featuring a vertical design, this compressor is ideal for tougher tasks.
The 2289 offers an air flow rate of 4 CFM at 90 PSI, and a rate of 5 CFM at 40 PSI. Built with an oil-free pump, this model requires no lubrication and has a longer lifespan than competing models.
The compressor features two pressure gauges, a 1/4″ NPT quick coupler, and a quick drain valve that’s easy to reach.
The 2289 is easy to move thanks to the 7″ wheels and the rubber-grip handle.
Whether you’re woodworking or painting, this compressor offers the power and capacity you need to get the job done quickly and efficiently.
Stark 3.5HP Portable Air Compressor – Delivering maximum pressure of 125 PSI, the Stark air compressor is a bit less powerful than the WEN 2289, but comes with the benefit of being portable. With a 3.5 CFM at 90 PSI and 7.2 CFM at 40 PSI, this compressor offers longer run times.
The 3.5 HP motor ensures you have enough power to get the job done right.
The 10-gallon tank is built with durable cast iron, and the oil-lubricated motor offers high durability. Powered by electricity, you never have to worry about emissions or running out of gas when using this compressor.
With solid moving wheels and a weight of just 55 pounds, this compressor is easy to transport to and from the job site.
Speedway 52956 – Delivering 125 maximum PSI, the Speedway 52956 is a powerful little compressor with a 2 HP, oil-lubricated motor that delivers 3200 rpm. This model has a 10-gallon tank and a durable design that will give you years of use with proper care.
To maximize efficiency, the 52956 delivers a 6 CFM at 40 PSI and a 5 CFM at 90 PSI.
The 52956 features a portable design, with a weight of just 60 pounds and dimensions of 28″ x 13″ x 26.”
This Speedway compressor is ideal for blowing, inflating, nailers and other small tasks. If you’re looking for a simple garage air compressor, this model is a smart choice.
3.5HP 10-Gallon Compressor – A heavy-duty model, this 10-gallon, 3.5HP air compressor is a great option for job sites were portability is key.
The compressor features 125 PSI adjustable pressure, so you can get the job done quickly and efficiently.
The compressor’s back wheels and top handle make it easy to transport this model wherever you please. And the rugged design of this model allows it to be used in rough commercial job sites. All components are within easy reach, so you can get up and running in no time.
Simple in design and efficient in use, this compressor offers great value for the money and a powerful motor.
Central Pneumatic 2.5HP Compressor – Central Pneumatic’s 2.5HP compressor is portable, easy to use and powerful. This model features a 2.5 HP motor and a 10-gallon tank for maximum run times.
Offering a maximum pressure of 125 PSI, you can use this compressor for a variety of applications, including finishing, trim, woodworking, painting and even nailers.
This compressor’s motor is direct drive induction and offers protection from thermal overload. It delivers a 5.3 SCFM at 90 PSI and a 6.2 SCFM at 40 PSI. For maximum protection, this compressor has a high-impact ABS shroud.
With easy-to-read outlet gauges and tank, this model is ideal for both home and commercial use.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Right Ten Gallon Air Compressor for You
Air compressors are inherently simple tools, but finding a quality model isn’t always easy. We already discussed some of the most important things to consider when comparing models (air flow rate, tank shape and portability). Here are a few other important points to keep in mind when shopping for your compressor:
- Motor Power: How powerful is the motor? The more powerful the motor, the more efficient the compressor will be. Determine how much power you realistically need, and choose a model that will meet those needs.
- Power Source: How is the compressor powered? Does it use gas or electricity? Many modern compressors are powered by electricity, which eliminates the need to refuel or deal with emissions. With that said, gas compressors offer more portability and power. Determine which power source would be best suited for your needs.
- Durability: The compressor’s durability is a natural consideration. These tools are an investment, and you want to ensure that your investment isn’t wasted. Choose a model that’s well-rated, made by a reputable brand, and built with durable materials.
- Use: What will you be using the compressor for? The tasks and jobs at hand will help you determine which compressor is the right choice. All of the models we reviewed may have a 10-gallon tank, but some have higher air flow rates than others.
- Cost: The price of the compressor is another crucial consideration, especially if you’re on a tighter budget. Determine how much you can realistically spend on a compressor, and choose the best quality model in your price range.