Check Out Our 3 Hp Router Comparison to Help Find the Best Model for You
When it comes to routers, power is everything. Router horsepower plays a role in the tasks the tool can handle. While this isn’t the only consideration when buying a router, it’s one of the main concerns serious users have.
PORTER-CABLE 7518 Speedmatic 15 Amp 3-1/4 HP Fixed Base 5-Speed Router
Our favorite for 2017
Triton TRA001 3-1/4 HP Dual Mode Precision Plunge Router
A great value option
DEWALT DW625 3-Horsepower Variable Speed Electronic Plunge Router
Powerful, smooth-running 15 Amp motor generates 3-HP
If you’re looking for a powerful router, a 3 Hp model is a smart choice. We’re going to share our five favorite models. Here’s how to compare them:
- Fixed or Plunge: Some of the models on our list are plunge routers, while others are fixed. Determine which one you prefer. Fixed routers are ideal for edging and all-around use, while plunge routers are ideal for making grooves, mortises and patterns. Many pros recommend plunge routers for everyday homeowners, but you can also find models that allow you to switch between the two.
- Durability: If you’re a serious user, you’ll want to make sure you buy a durable model. Routers with a 3 Hp motor are going to be on the more expensive side compared to less powerful models, so you want to ensure that you’re getting a model you can rely on. Many of the higher end models have aluminum bases and motor housing, and should provide you with years of use.
- User Feedback: Take the time to read through consumer reviews to see which router is best-rated in your budget. It’s worth the effort to search for user reviews, as they help you weed out models that may give you issues or stop working prematurely. A highly rated model is more likely to last longer and to run more smoothly.
Our Favorite 3 Hp Router Reviews
Porter-Cable 7518 – Porter-Cable’s 7518 router features a 15-amp motor and 5 speed settings for added versatility and power. With a motor this powerful, you can take on the toughest of jobs with ease.
The five settings include 21,000, 19,000, 16,000, 13,000 and 10,000 rpm. This model also accommodates a wide variety of bit sizes and can be used for many different applications.
The soft-start feature reduces the motor speed when you first start up, and the auto-release collet system allows for the easy removal of bits after each use. The motor maintains constant speed even under heavy load.
With an aluminum base and motor housing, this router is durable and rugged.
Triton TRA001 – The Triton TRA001 is a 3-1/4 HP combo router that allows you to switch between a plunge and fixed base router with the push of a button. Automatic spindle lock allows for a single wrench bit change.
The micro winder enables you to make continuous fine depth adjustments, and the soft start feature makes it easy to get started without worrying about the router jerking around. The variable speeds allow for the perfect speed for all types of cutting.
A set of side vents reduces dust intake into the motor casings, increasing the longevity of this tool.
If you’re looking for a precision plunge router, the TRA001 is the right choice.
DEWALT DW625 – The DEWALT DW625 is a powerful model with a 15-amp motor and variable speeds between 8,000 and 22,000 rpm. The full wave electronic motor allows for constant speed even under heavy load, so you can take on any job with ease.
The design of the DW625 makes this model easy to hold and operate. The soft start operation allows you to get started without having to worry about jerking the router around. To add to the durability of this model, a dust-extraction adapter is included.
Micro-fine bit adjustment is available, and this model comes with both a 1/4″ and 1/2″ collets.
Backed by a three-year limited warranty, this is a router that will give you years of use.
Makita RP2301FC – The RP2301FC from Makita also comes with a powerful 15-amp motor that delivers 9,000-22,000 RPM for smooth operation at all times. With 0”-2-3/4” depth capacity, this router allows for easy penetration.
Electronic speed control means this model offers constant speed under load. Variable speed controls also allow you to adjust according to whatever project you’re working on.
Like all of the other routers on our list, this one also offers soft start, and the RP2301FC also has an electric brake for improved productivity.
Ideal for woodworking, furniture, cabinetry, decking, doors and general carpentry, this is a router that can take on just about any wood cutting job with ease.
Porter-Cable 7538 – The 7538 from Porter-Cable is another high quality 3 Hp router with a 15-amp motor and extreme durability. This model has a single speed motor that delivers 21,000 rpm and features a soft start system.
An auto-release collet system makes it easy to remove bits in between uses. The depth rod also offers six positions for repeated or stepped plunge cuts.
With an aluminum base and motor housing, this router is durable and rugged to stand up to even the toughest of tasks.
If you’re looking for a serious router with the power and durability to stand up to just about any task, the Porter-Cable 7538 is the right tool for the job.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Right 3Hp Router for You
Now that you’ve read through our reviews, you may be wondering which router you should choose. We shared some tips on how to compare models earlier, but there are some other features and considerations that you should keep in mind:
- Variable Speed Motor: Routers with a variable speed motor will allow you to adjust the speed according to the bit size and task. Bigger bits require slower movement, while smaller bits require faster speeds. A single-speed motor will not give you the option to change speeds, so you’ll need to change bases when changing bits.
- Soft Start: A soft start feature comes standard with most routers. This reduces the torque when first starting the machine, so it doesn’t jerk out of position.
- EVS Speed Control: Electronic variable speed control is a useful feature that you may want your router to have (most of the ones on our list do). This feature allows you to select the ideal speed for the task, and the motor will deliver constant speed under load.
- Collets: Consider the size of the collets included with the tool. The collet size will determine the size of the bit the router can use. The included collets and their sizes should be listed in the product description.
- Price: The final consideration is cost. Three horsepower routers are powerful, and tend to come at a higher price. Still, it’s important to set a budget and find models you can realistically afford. The higher-end routers are better suited for those who are serious users. If you’re just getting started, a more budget-friendly model will be the better choice.