What’s the Best Camping Knife You Can Buy after 2015?
Whether you go camping every weekend or just once a year, you know how important it is to have a reliable, durable camping knife by your side when you’re out in the wilderness. Hiking is one thing, but spending an extended amount of time out in the wild puts you at greater risk of facing an emergency. And if disaster strikes (hopefully it doesn’t), you need to be prepared. The right camping knife can help you do that.
StatGear 99416 Surviv-All Outdoor Knife with Firestarter
Our favorite for 2017
TAC Force TF-705GC Assisted Opening Tactical Folding Knife
A great value option
BlizeTec Survival Knife: Best 5-in-1 Tactical Pocket Folding Knife with LED Light
A brilliant multi-purpose knife
But how do you find the right knife? What’s the best way to compare models? There are a few key things you need to keep in mind:
- Blade Material: Stainless steel has become the industry standard, but you will still find many models that are made with carbon steel. Stainless steel is more resistant to corrosion, and requires less maintenance. Look for models that have higher quality stainless steel, such as 420 or 440, to maximize durability.
- Knife Brand: Look for knives from brands that are known for their high-quality products. Remember, you’re looking to buy a survival knife, so you don’t want to skimp on quality here. If you need to rely on this knife in a survival situation, you need to make sure that it’s durable enough to stand up to the job.
- Customer Feedback: What are other customers saying about the knife? Does the tip, break off after just a few heavy uses? Or, can heavy-duty blade tackle even the toughest jobs? Reviews from other users are important when comparing models because they help you narrow down your choices to the models that perform best.
Finding the right camping knife isn’t always easy. We’ve taken the guesswork out of the process by rounding up five of the best models on the market for 2017.
These five camping knives have proven to be affordable, durable and ultra-sharp.
StatGear 99416 Surviv-All – StatGear’s 99416 Surviv-All is the all-around best knife for camping. Why? Because it provides everything you need to survive – all in a compact, lightweight sheath.
But let’s start with the blade, which is full tang and made of 440 stainless steel. The drop point blade is razor-sharp and features a plain, angled edge.
At the bottom of the knife’s handle is a steel pommel that you can use for hammering. The rubber handle is easy to grip, so you can use this knife in all weather conditions.
On top of the sheath is a fire starter, and you’ll find a convenient cord cutter just below. On the bottom of the sheath is a blade sharpener to keep your knife sharp at all times.
As a budget to mid-range blade, this knife is not only affordable, but also provides you with the tools you need if you find yourself in an emergency situation during your next camping trip.
BlizeTec Survival Knife – If versatility is what you’re after, BlizeTec’s 5-in-1 survival knife is the ideal choice. This tactical pocket folding knife features a 3 1/2 inch blade made of 420 stainless steel. Ultra-sharp, BlizeTec’s survival knife features a drop point, blade that is partially serrated, LED flashlight, glass breaker, seatbelt cutter, and a magnesium fire starter. A pocket clip is also included as well as a nylon pouch.
With so many uses, this survival knife is ideal for camping, hiking and other outdoor uses. Weighing just 5.46 ounces, you can easily slip this folding pocket knife into your back pocket, clip it your belt, or store it in your backpack without worrying about it weighing you down.
You’d be hard-pressed to find another survival knife that is this versatile, this durable, and this affordable.
TAC Force TF-705 Series – Looking for the absolute most affordable camping knife? The TAC Force TF-705 Series is the ideal choice. With a spring assist function, this folding knife allows for easy one-handed deployment, and it locks securely into place with a reliable liner lock.
The 3 1/4 inch blade is 3 mm thick, and the knife boasts a length of 4 1/2 inches when closed. The black stainless steel blade is half-serrated for heavy-duty use.
The easy-to-grip aluminum handle features a glass breaker and bottle opener for emergency situations.
Although it’s a budget blade, TAC Force’s TF-705 Series is trusted by fire and rescue workers as well as EMTs and first responders. Its one-handed, rapid deployment makes it ideal for use in emergency situations.
Gerber Bear Grylls – Arguably the best fixed blade camping knife, the Gerber Bear Grylls was designed with campers, hikers and bushcrafters in mind. Featuring a stainless steel serrated blade, this knife can be a lifesaver in emergency situations.
For starters, the rubberized grip is extremely easy to hold, and it won’t slip if you’re sweating or if it’s raining. The two holes at the top of the handle make it easy to attach the knife to a stick, and use it as a makeshift spear to hunt small game or fish.
A diamond sharpener is included to keep the blade sharp, and the integrated fire starter can come in handy in emergencies. The bottom of the knife handle acts as a heavy-duty pommel, while the attached lanyard features a whistle to attract attention.
Nearly everything about this knife is designed to help you survive in the wild, and that’s exactly what you need when you’re camping in the wilderness.
Kershaw 1605CKTST – Simple in nature, the Kershaw 1605CKTST is a reliable folding knife that features SpeedSafe assisted opening for quick and easy deployment. A locking liner ensures that this knife never deploys unexpectedly, while the reversible pocket clip makes it easy to carry this knife out in the wild.
The partially serrated, 3.1 inch blade is made of 8Cr13MoV stainless steel and features a black-oxide coating to prevent corrosion. The glass-filled nylon handle is textured for a non-slip grip you can use in any weather condition. Weighing just 4.3 ounces, this camping knife is incredibly lightweight and can easily be carried in your back pocket.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Best Camp Knife for You
These five models are all excellent choices, but how do you choose the right one for you? Consider the following:
- Fixed vs Folded: One of the first things you need to consider is whether you want a fixed or folded knife. A folding knife can be carried safely in your pocket, while a fixed knife takes up a little bit more room, but tends to be more durable. Folding knives are not ideal for heavy-duty use, while fixed knives may not be best suited for small tasks. Determine what you’re going to be using the knife for to better decide whether you want a fixed or folded model.
- Blade Type: When buying a camping knife, you’ll notice that models either have a plain edge or a serrated edge. The type of blade you choose will depend on your usage. Serrated blades are ideal for heavy-duty tasks, like cutting or sawing through tough branches. A plain edge knife is great for cord cutting, skinning and shaving.
- Size: The size of the knife is also important. Are you looking for a small, compact model, or do you want a knife with some weight to it? Smaller knives won’t be able to handle as many tasks as a larger knife, but a big knife isn’t ideal for every Again, decide what you will be using the knife for to better determine the size you need.
- Price: Finally, price plays a major role in which knife you choose. Always buy the best quality knife you can afford – cheaper is rarely better in the knife industry.