Let Us Help You Find the Best Commercial Weed Wacker After 2015
If you’re a professional landscaper, you know the importance of having a reliable, durable weed whacker. And you also know that you can’t just run out and buy any model on the store shelf. Trimmers designed for the everyday homeowner can’t live up to your heavy use.
Tanaka TCG27EBSP 2-Cycle Gas String Commercial Grade Trimmer
Our favorite for 2017
BLACK+DECKER LHT2436 24-Inch 40-Volt Cordless Hedge Trimmer
A great value option
Husqvarna 128LD 17-Inch Straight Shaft Detachable String Trimmer
A great machine from Husqvarna
To help you find the best weed whacker for your business, we’re going to review some of the top models on the market. But first, let’s take a look at how to compare trimmers:
- Power: For commercial use, you need a powerful trimmer. Pay close attention to the engine type to make sure that you’re getting a model that meets your standards. A 28cc engine is ideal, but a 26.9cc will suffice as well. Remember, if the trimmer doesn’t have enough power, some jobs will take longer or be downright impossible to complete.
- Comfort: If you’re going to be using the trimmer for extended periods of time, you want to make sure that it’s comfortable to hold and easy to maneuver. Consider the weight, shape of the shaft and the length of the model. A model with an adjustable height is ideal because you can choose the appropriate length for your unique height.
- Durability: Because you’re looking for a trimmer for commercial use, you want to make sure that it’s durable enough to stand up to heavy-duty use. Look for models made specifically for commercial use. And pay attention to user reviews to see how durable the model is. You can also ask others in your professional network which model they prefer.
The Best Commercial Weed Whacker Reviews for 2017
Husqvarna 128LD – The Husqvarna 128LD is a straight shaft string trimmer with a 28cc engine and large 17” cutting swath. Designed for heavy-duty use, the 128LD is right at home in a commercial setting.
Affordably priced, this trimmer uses .095-diameter trimmer line and is attachment capable to make it even more versatile.
The straight shaft makes it easy to reach underneath decks, shrubs and other hard-to-reach places, while the Smart Start recoil system allows for easy starting.
The 128LD comes with braided wire cable drive and a T25 trimmer head that’s semi-automatic.
If you want a budget-friendly commercial-grade trimmer that’s powerful and lightweight (just 11 pounds), the 128LD is a great choice.
DEWALT DCST920P1 – The Dewalt DCST920P1 is a battery-powered trimmer, but don’t let this turn you off. With a 20V 5Ah lithium ion battery, this model has the staying power to get through even the toughest of jobs.
The brushless motor maximizes durability and efficiency, and a built-in variable trigger control allows you to adjust the speed according to the task. A dual 0.80” line and bump feed combines with a 13” cutting width for convenience and durability that’s hard to match.
Well-balanced, this trimmer weighs just 8.5 pounds.
From one of the most respected brands in the power tool industry, the Dewalt DCST920P1 is an excellent string trimmer for commercial use.
Tanaka TCG27EBSP – The Tanaka TCG27EBSP is one of the best commercial grass trimmers out there, and it’s also one of the most reliable. Featuring a 2-cycle, 26.cc commercial-grade engine, this model has the power take on any trimmer task without breaking a sweat.
The aluminum clutch housing keeps the trimmer from overheating, while the lined drive shaft – made from solid steel – reduces vibration. There’s also padding on the front and rear handles, so you can use the trimmer for longer without getting fatigued.
These features work together to deliver maximum comfort and durability.
Like other trimmers in its class, the TCG27EBSP is compatible with attachments to improve its versatility. The spindle lock that’s built into the trimmer completely eliminates the need for using tools when changing attachments.
BLACK+DECKER LHT2436 – The LHT2436 is different from all the other models on our list. Why? Because it’s not a weed trimer at all – it’s a hedge trimmer. But if you’re in the landscaping business, a solid hedge trimmer should be in your arsenal of tools.
Powered by a 40V lithium ion battery, this trimmer boasts a longer runtime than the competition, so you can get the job done without having to recharge. In fact, you can trim up to 6,000 square feet of hedges on a single charge.
The built-in shearing blade is capable of cutting branches that are up to 3/4” thick.
The dual-action blade, which is 24”, minimizes vibration and the wrap-around front handle maximizes comfort.
DEWALT DCST920P1 – The final pick on our list also comes from Dewalt. The DCST920P1 features a powerful brushless motor for the ultimate in durability and efficiency. And the variable trigger allows you to adjust the speed of the trimmer, so you can save on power.
The DCST920P1 has a 13” cutting width and a dual 0.080” line with bump feed. Weighing just 8.5 pounds, this model is well balanced, so you can use it for extended periods of time without feeling fatigued.
A 20V 5Ah lithium ion battery is included along with the charger, so you can start using this trimmer right away.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose Best Commercial Weed Trimmer for You
It’s hard enough to pick the right weed trimmer for everyday use. Finding a good commercial model is even tougher. Durability is the biggest issue. The last thing you want is for your trusted trimmer to stop working on the day you need it most.
To minimize your chances of buying a “lemon,” here are some things to consider when buying a string trimmer:
- Balance: It’s important to choose a trimmer that feels balanced, especially if you’re planning on using it for hours at a time. Handles help make the trimmer more comfortable to use as well as the design of the shaft and the weight. Generally, curved shafts create a more balanced feel, but aren’t ideal for getting into those hard-to-reach areas. Most commercial weed whackers have straight shafts for this reason – they can reach underneath things.
- Versatility: Many string trimmers are compatible with attachments that allow you to use it for different tasks. If you’re looking to maximize your investment, look for models that are attachment capable. In the very least, you should be able to transform your trimmer into an edger.
- Adjustability: Most trimmers allow you to adjust the height of the shaft, which makes using it more comfortable. Ideally, you want a model that offers this feature, especially if you’re on the tall or short side. This way, you can find a height that suits your needs. And if you’re sharing the tool with other workers, they will also be able to find a height that’s most comfortable for them.
- Price: Finally, don’t forget to factor in the price. The cost of the trimmer is important, but for commercial purposes, you don’t want to skimp on quality. Always choose a better quality trimmer over a lower-priced, mediocre one.