Let Us Help You Find the Best Pancake Air Compressor On the Market
A pancake compressor features a more compact tank with a simple, easy-to-carry design. Made for maximum stability, these compressors are great for finishing and trim work.
PORTER-CABLE C2002-WK Oil-Free UMC Pancake Compressor with 13-Piece Accessory Kit
Our favorite for 2017
PORTER-CABLE C2002 Oil-Free UMC Pancake Compressor
A very close runner-up
DEWALT DWFP55126 6-Gallon 165 PSI Pancake Compressor
A great option from dewalt
No matter your purpose for buying a compressor, you may be unsure of how to choose a model. We’re going to review some of the top models on the market to help you make your decision. Here are some tips on how to compare them:
- Maximum PSI: What’s the maximum tank pressure of the model you’re considering? Certain applications require more power (i.e. pressure), so make sure the model you choose has a sufficient maximum PSI. Most models have a maximum PSI of 135, 150, or 165.
- Efficiency: Efficient compressors have longer run times, so you deal with fewer interruptions while on the job. Most models deliver a 2.6 SCFM at 150 psi, which extends the run time of the tool. Make sure the models you’re considering offer this, so you can ensure maximum efficiency.
- Portability: The great thing about pancake compressors is that they’re highly portable. Consider the sizes and weights of the models you’re comparing, and find one that’s best suited for the job. Smaller and lighter models may be ideal for trim and finishing work, while slightly larger and heavier compressors may be able to tackle roofing and framing jobs.
- Quality: Naturally, you want a high-quality compressor that will give you years of use. But it can be difficult to judge quality unless you use the compressor yourself. Read reviews and consider the brand’s reputation when choosing a model. Better rated tools from reputable brands are far more likely to last.
The Top Pancake Air Compressor Reviews for 2017
Porter-Cable C2002-WK – Designed for optimal stability, the Porter-Cable C2002-WK pancake compressor features a six-gallon capacity for extended air tool performance. The tank features a maximum pressure of 150psi, so it stores more air and allows for longer run times.
The C2002-WK comes with a set of 13 accessories, so you have everything you need to get started. The plug and air coupler are factory-installed onto the air hose for added convenience.
With 2.6 SCFM at 90psi, the compressor’s recovery time is much quicker than normal.
The oil-free pump virtually eliminates maintenance, and the low-AMP motor makes it easy to start even in cold weather. The small size and six-gallon capacity makes this compressor ideal for transporting.
Porter-Cable C2002 – Porter-Cable’s C2002 is very similar to the C2002-WK, but doesn’t come with the additional 13 accessories. Highly durable and easy to use, this is a compressor you can take with you on the go and to the jobsite.
The C2002’s tank features a maximum pressure of 150 psi, which allows for more air to be stored and for a longer run time. The compressor also features a quick recovery time thanks to the 2.6 SCFM at 90 psi.
With a weight of just 34 pounds, this model is exceptionally lightweight and easy to transport. It also offers thermal overload protection, a high-flow regulator and a six-gallon tank.
If you’re looking for a lightweight, portable compressor, the C2002 is a great choice.
Dewalt DWFP55126 – The Dewalt DWFP55126 is a six-gallon compressor with a maximum tank pressure of 165 psi. Delivering 2.6 SCFM at 90 psi, this model holds more air and allows for longer run times.
Built with a high-efficiency motor, this compressor is easy to start up, even in cold weather. And with a noise level of just 75.5 dBA, this is the quietest air compressor available.
The high-flow couplers and regulator allow for maximum tool performance, so you can get the job done quickly and efficiently. Weighing just 30 pounds, this compressor is easy to carry and store in between uses.
If you’re in need of a compressor with a little more power, the DWFP55126 is a great choice.
Porter-Cable PCFP02003 – The Porter-Cable PCFP02003 compressor is the ideal choice for smaller jobs and those who need extreme portability. Despite its small sizes, this model is powerful, durable and highly efficient.
The 3.5-gallon tank features a maximum pressure of 135 psi, and delivers a 2 SCFM at 90 psi for a quicker recovery, The oil-free pump is highly durable and virtually maintenance-free.
The PCFP02003 features a low-AMP 120V motor that’s easy to start, even when the weather is cold. The compressor weighs just 26 pounds for easy transport, and at just 82dBA, this model is relatively quiet.
This compressor is ideal for finishing tasks, small framing and roofing jobs, blowing, inflation and small SCFM air tools.
Bostitch BTFP02011 – The Bostitch BTFP02011 is an ultra quiet air compressor that operates at just 80 dBA. Featuring an oil-free, six-gallon tank, this compressor is the ideal choice for finish, cabinetry, molding, window and a variety of trim applications.
With a 2.6 SCFM delivered at 150 psi, this compressor allows for maximum run times of 450 life hours.
The BTFP02011 is highly portable, with a 14″ diameter and weight of just 33 pounds. It’s easy to take this compressor to the job site without breaking your back in the process.
For small jobs and quiet job sites, the Bostitch BTFP02011 is the ideal choice.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Right Pancake Compressor for You
Pancake compressors are a great tool for a variety of applications. But when it comes time to choose a model, making a decision isn’t always easy.
There are several things to consider when choosing a compressor. We talked about the importance of portability, quality, efficiency and pressure. Here are some other points to consider when choosing a model:
- Power Source: Pancake compressors can be powered by gas or electricity. Determine which power source is the ideal choice for you, and pick a model that meets your needs. Most modern compressors (including the ones we reviewed) are powered by electricity, which makes them easy to start and maintain.
- Noise Level: Compressors can be noisy, especially gas-powered models. The good news is that most of the models we reviewed are very quiet, so you can work without losing your sanity. Check the product description of any compressor you’re considering for information on its noise level. If you’re trying to maintain a quiet job site, be sure to choose a model that’s ultra-quiet.
- Tank Size: The size of the tank is an important consideration. Most pancake compressors have a six-gallon tank, but you’ll find smaller iterations with a 3.5-gallon tank. Consider your needs and the job to determine the best tank size for you.
- Accessories: Does the compressor come with any accessories? The Porter-Cable C2002-WK comes with a 13-piece accessories kit that includes a hose. Most compressors don’t come with accessories, which means you’ll need to buy a hose and various other items. If this is your first time buying and/or using a compressor, you may want to go with a model that comes with these essential accessories.