Let Us Help You Find the Best Compact Cordless Drill on The Market
A small cordless drill will allow you to quickly and effectively handle small tasks where drilling isn’t the focus of the job. You may drill 100 screws over the course of a day, or a few days, but this is much different than the entire job requiring you to use a drill non-stop all day.
BLACK+DECKER LDX172PK 7.2-Volt Lithium-Ion Drill and Project Kit
Our favorite for 2017
BLACK+DECKER LDX172C 7.2-Volt Lithium-Ion Drill/Driver
A great value option
DEWALT DC750KA 9.6-Volt 3/8-Inch Cordless Drill/Driver Kit
Comes with 3 years warranty!
The best compact drill is one that is versatile, small enough to fit in tight spaces and has enough power to handle a multitude of jobs.
We’ve had the pleasure of reviewing the top small cordless drills on the market today. But when trying to sift through them all, we found that it can be very difficult to pick one model over the next.
A few of the key features and specs to consider are:
- Kit vs. Drill: The first model on our list is a kit, and this is a great option if you’re just starting your tools collection. While a plain drill will often provide added power and versatility, a kit will provide additional tools and accessories, which need to be considered.
- Speed Adjustments: Speed is important when aiming for precision. Faster speeds will make it harder when precision holes or screws need to be drilled into a platform. So, keep this in mind if you need versatility.
- Reverse Setting: A lot of drills don’t offer reverse settings, and this means you’ll need to hand remove screws or bolts, which isn’t fun. If the drill gets stuck, it’s also harder to remove it.
If you keep these points in mind, you’ll be able to find a compact cordless drill you can use for any occasion.
Our Picks for the Best Small Cordless Drill
BLACK+DECKER LDX172PK 7.2-Volt Lithium-Ion Drill Review – The LDX172Pk is a 7.2-volt drill that also comes with a project kit, which includes everything from numerous bits to needle nose pliers, a hammer, ratchets and more. There are 54 total hand tools that this model can convert to with ease.
The drill is powered by a lithium ion battery that can hold a charge for 18 months.
A total of 11 clutch positions are present, and this model weighs just 7.2 pounds. The dimensions of this drill are 16.5” x 3.6” x 11.6”. You can switch to the reverse setting to remove screws, and with all the accessories, this is a great model for all home projects.
For an entry level drill and smaller projects, you can’t go wrong with this model from Black+Decker.
BLACK+DECKER LDX172C 7.2-Volt Lithium-Ion Drill/Driver Review – The LDX172C is another model from Black+Decker, and this model has a mid-handle design that is comfortable and offers superb control over the competition. A lithium ion battery holds a charge for up to 18 months, and there is a keyless chuck which enables you to switch out bits quickly.
A fan is built into the unit to cool the motor during extensive usage, allowing for added longevity of the drill.
This model offers 60 in. lbs. torque at a speed of 550 rpm. A reverse speed is offered, too. The unit measures 8.31” x 2.63” x 7.69”.
This is a good drill for entry-level projects, but the lack of variable speeds makes it a little fast for fastening screws with precision.
DEWALT DC750KA 9.6-Volt 3/8-Inch Cordless Drill/Driver Kit Review – A powerful unit, this is a drill meant for intermediate and even heavy-duty jobs. This model has an all-metal, ratcheting chuck that offers superb retention versus the competition. The grip is soft, and this allows for added comfort and a stronger overall grip.
Dual speeds are offered: 0 – 300 rpm and 0 – 1,100 rpm for added versatility.
There is a 3/8” keyless, single sleeve ratchet to allow for an overall tighter bit when in use. Lightweight, this drill weighs just 3.4 pounds, yet it offers 15 positions of adjustable clutch to add to the control and versatility of the drill.
The drill’s dimensions are 14.8” x 4.6” x 11.9”.
Panasonic EY7410LA2S 3.6-Volt Lithium-Ion Drill/Driver Kit Review – The EY7410LA2S is a 3.6-volt drill, so it’s not quite as powerful as the other drills on this list. However, it’s very versatile and weighs just 1.1 pounds – so there is virtually no fatigue when in use. An auto shut-off keeps the drill from overheating, and there is a 1/4” hex quick connect chuck.
There are two, 1.5Ah Li-ion battery packs included.
Twenty-two stage clutch settings are offered for greater control when in use, and the drill is in the pistol style. An LED light switch illuminates your viewing area, and there are 39 in. lbs. of torque provided. The unit’s dimensions are 9.6” x 12.7” x 4”.
The Original Pink Box PB18VLI 18-volt Lithium Ion Cordless Drill Review – The Original Pink is a drill that is powered by an 18-volt lithium ion battery, and it even comes with a built-in LED light that will illuminate your work surface. This model offers a chuckless drill setting, and there are 22 torque settings provided.
Small and compact, this product’s dimensions are: 9” x 3” x 9”.
In terms of weight, this model weighs just 4.1 pounds, which allows it to be used for longer durations without fatigue setting in. A charger is provided with this drill, and with a pink exterior, it’s the right drill for anyone who doesn’t want their husband walking away with their drill.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Right Lightweight Cordless Drill for You
These drills have a place in different scenarios. There’s a lot to think about when trying to choose a drill because there are a variety of projects that you may undertake. Cheaper models may be good for assembling furniture and hanging pictures.
But other models may be suited for heavy construction jobs and will work fine for even hanging pictures.
If you’re a contractor, you’ll need a heavy-duty drill that can work for hours and handle most jobs with ease. A few of the recommendations we have when choosing the right drill for you are:
- Size: How small do you want your drill to be? Weight is of the utmost importance because your arms will get tired when trying to hold a 7-pound drill for a few hours straight. If you need the drill for smaller jobs, you may want to choose a small, compact model that can fit in your kitchen drawers.
- Price: Make a budget and stick to it. You’ll find that there are options in every price range. Oftentimes, it’s better to budget a little extra if you want to buy a high-end or powerful drill that offers even more versatility.
- Torque: The amount of torque is very important. This is the amount of pressure applied when tightening. If you have torque options, this will allow you to have greater control over your drilling experience, which is never a bad thing.
Of course, you should read through reviews and make a judgment for yourself on which drill to buy. There are plenty of great models on the market to choose from.