Who Makes the Best Tool Boxes After 2015?
You invest your hard-earned money into high quality tools. Don’t they deserve to be stored properly? A tool cabinet will keep your tools cool, dry and protected from the elements, so you can enjoy years of use. The right cabinet will also keep your tools organized, so you can find exactly what you need in the blink of an eye.
Stack-On DS-39 39 Drawer Storage Cabinet
Our favorite for 2017
Grizzly H7994 8 Drawer Storage Cabinet
A great value option
Viper Tool Storage LB4109R 41-Inch 9-Drawer 18G Steel Rolling Tool Cabinet
9 Drawers – Each offering 100-pound capacity
What’s the best tool storage cabinet for you? We’re going to share four great options, but first, here are some tips on how to compare models:
- Storage Size: The first thing to consider is how much storage space is offered. Some cabinets have dozens of drawers, while others have just a handful. Consider how much space you need to store your tools, and choose a cabinet based on that.
- Type of Cabinet: Decide whether you want a metal, wood or some other type of cabinet. Metal cabinets are more durable and can typically hold more weight. Wooden cabinets, on the other hand, are aesthetically pleasing, but cannot hold as much weight. Smaller, lightweight tools may be ideal to store in a wooden cabinet.
- User Feedback: When you invest in a tool cabinet, you want to make sure that it will last. The materials used to construct the cabinet give you a clue as to how durable it is, but user feedback will give you an even better idea. Do people love the cabinet, or are there issues with it? If it falls apart after a year of use or cannot hold up when storing the types of tools you own, it may be time to consider a new model.
Reviews – The Best Tool Chest for the Money in 2017
Stack-On DS-39 – The Stack-On DS-39 offers 39 drawers of storage space: 30 medium-sized and 9 large. At 14-7/8” wide x 6-3/8” deep x 18-1/2” high, this cabinet is ideal for storing smaller tools, nails and other parts you may need for home improvement tasks.
The wide frame offers more support for added strength and stability. The see-through drawers allow you to quickly and easily find what you need. Each drawer also has a no-spill tab stop and easy-to-pull ribbed handles.
The nice thing about this cabinet is that it can easily be mounted to the wall for even more stability. Mounting would prevent the cabinet from tipping over and potentially damaging stored items.
At such an affordable price, it’s hard to pass this cabinet up.
Grizzly H7994 – The Grizzly H7994 is different from most tool cabinets you find in home improvement stores. Rather than being constructed with metal or plastic, this chest is made of oak veneer.
The H7994 offers eight, felt-lined drawers that are 7-1/8” wide x 7-1/8” deep x 1-3/4” high. While you won’t be able to store large tools in this cabinet, you can easily store precision tooling and other accessories needed for home improvement or automotive tasks.
The wooden design gives this cabinet an attractive look, and at 15.2lbs. this model has some weight to it considering its smaller size.
If you’re looking for a cabinet to store drill bits, screws, wrenches and other smaller tools, the H7994 will do the trick.
Seville Classics UltraHD – Looking for a heavy-duty tool cabinet? The UltraHD from Seville Classics is a great choice. With a powder-coated steel frame and stainless steel drawer fronts, this is a cabinet that will give you years of use without breaking a sweat.
This rolling cabinet features six drawers, with five slimmer and one extra-deep drawer.
The heavy-duty caster wheels have a 5” diameter, and two of the wheels have locking mechanisms for added safety. All drawers have cushioned liners for maximum protection and to prevent the tools from jostling around.
The top of the cabinet features hardwood and a one-key lock that controls all drawers.
The five top drawers feature dimensions of 23” wide x 16” deep x 2.5” high. The bottom drawer features a height of 10”, which is ideal for storing larger tools.
Viper Tool Storage LB4109R – The LB4109R from Viper Tool Storage is the ideal tool cabinet for garages, and offers enough space to store a modest tool collection.
With nine drawers, this 18G steel rolling tool cart comes in bright colors and is strong enough to hold larger tools with ease.
A powder coated finish adds to the durability of this cart, while the extended aluminum drawer pulls make it easy to open and close each drawer. When you’re ready to move the cart, the side handle makes it easy to reach your destination.
The LB4109R also features a 100-pound-rated extension ball bearing drawer slides.
Available in lime green, hot pink, black, stainless steel and white, you can choose an option that suits your personality.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Right Best Tool Storage for You
You’ve read through our reviews, but you’re still not sure which tool cabinet to choose. There are several things you should keep in mind when selecting a model, including:
- Storage Needs: What types of tools do you plan on storing? Are you storing a large collection of power tools, or are you just looking for a place to keep and organize smaller components, like nails, screws and drill bits? The type of tools you want to store will determine which cabinet you choose. The Viper Storage chest, for example, is heavy-duty enough and large enough to store heavier power tools. The Seville Classics wooden cabinet, on the other hand, is only really good for storing smaller tools and components.
- Space: Another important thing to consider is how much space you have. Do you have room for a larger cart? If not, you may be better off buying a countertop model, like the first two options on our list. Our third pick offers an in-between option, but space will still need to be a consideration here as well.
- Transportability: Do you need a cabinet that can easily be moved or transported to another room? If so, consider a model that has caster wheels. If transportability isn’t a concern, a countertop model may be the better option – and will save you money.
- Budget: Don’t forget to factor in the cost of the cabinet. Set a budget and stick to it. The list above includes models from all price ranges, so you’re sure to find a solution that works for you and doesn’t break the bank.