What’s The Best Air Compressor Brand After 2016?
You want the best air compressor for the money; I get it, air compressors are an expensive investment. When choosing an air compressor, there’s a lot that goes into the process. You may want a unit that’s portable, or you may want a unit that offers the most couplers for a commercial setting.
WEN 2289 10-Gallon Oil-Free Vertical Air Compressor
Our favorite for 2017
Porter Cable PXCMF220VW 20-Gallon Portable Air Compressor
A very close runner-up
Industrial Air IL1682066.MN 20-Gallon Belt Driven Air Compressor with V-Twin Cylinder
A great industrial unit
We’ve narrowed down the top 10 air compressors to just a handful to help you find the best model on the market in 2017.
And before you dive in, we want to help make your choice easier. The following tips will help you compare between the models mentioned to make a wiser purchasing decision:
- Oil vs Oil-less: A lot of brands are moving towards oil-less compressors that are a lot less maintenance-intensive. If you don’t want to deal with maintenance, oil-less is always the go-to option. But, if you want a high-powered compressor, it will normally require oil to run.
- Capacity: The tank capacity does mean a lot. Larger, more demanding jobs will require a compressor tank that’s larger to meet user needs. If you plan on using the tank daily, a larger tank will equate to less downtime.
- Transport Wheels: If you plan on being able to transport your vertical compressor, make sure that the unit has transport wheels. Larger transport wheels will allow for ease of transport due to the heavier size of the larger tanks.
These three considerations will help guide you in the direction of a compressor that will work well for your needs and potential usage demands.
Reviews of the Top Vertical Air Compressor
WEN 2280 Vertical Air Compressor – The WEN 2280 is so popular that it’s often backlogged. This model is a vertical air compressor offering a 10-gallon capacity and oil-free design. Maximum PSI is 150, with 4.0 CFM flow rates of 90 PSI and 5.0 CFM flow rates of 40 PSI.
No external lubrication is required, and a drain valve allows for easy draining of the tank.
Two large wheels and a handle allow the unit to be transported over rough terrain with ease. A ¼-inch quick coupler is provided along with two pressure gauges. This model is 110V and the horsepower is 1.5.
The 2280 offers plenty of power for a variety of construction needs.
Porter Cable PXCMF220VW Compressor – This 2-gallon unit is AMSE certified and is equipped with a regulator, quick connect and gauges to monitor internal and external PSI supply. The unit operates at 40 PSI at 5.0 CFM and 90 PSI at 4.0 CFM.
A 1.5 HP motor allows the compressor to supply a maximum of 150 PSI.
Rubber feet provide tank stabilization, while the 7″ wheels and handle allow for easy transport of the compressor. Oil-free, there are no belts or pulleys to maintain. An electrical, 120V power source is needed to run the 220VW.
This compressor is a great universal model that allows for tire inflation, hobby painting, nailing, stapling, bolting and wrenching.
Industrial Air IL Air Compressor – Industrial Air’s air compressor is a heavy-duty model that’s made out of cast iron and does feature an oil pump. This model utilizes a dual voltage motor, and the 20-gallon portable tank features tires to allow for maximum portability on a variety of terrain types.
A quick set regulator allows for fast hookup while the unit offers a maximum of 135 PSI. The unit can also produce 40 PSI at 4.3 CFM.
You’ll be able to use this air compressor to run pneumatic tools when working on automobiles, too. This is the perfect compressor for auto body shops and home garages, where power tools make the process move along much faster.
Dewalt D55168 200 PSI Portable Workshop Compressor – The Dewalt D55168 is a high-powered, portable workshop compressor that’s powered via electric and comes with two wheels for easy transport, even over grass and rough terrain. Longer tool run times are provided through the tank’s 15-gallon, 200 PSI capacity.
Quick compressor recovery is provided through the 5.0 SCFM at 90 PSI.
Two gauges on the front of the unit display the current PSI level. Noise production is rated at 78 dBA. Sprayers can be used with this model, and you can plug the unit into an electrical outlet for continued usage.
The unit offers only one air outlet, so this unit is best suited for home users or single man shops.
NorthStar 3HP, 60 Gallon Air Compressor – NorthStar’s air compressor is extremely powerful, and it’s able to deliver 11.3 CFM at a staggering 90 PSI. This model can also provide 12.5 CFM at 40 PSI for a strong, capable vertical compressor.
The 3 HP motor is run via electric, and the 2-cylinder pump is oiled, requiring more maintenance.
A 920 RPM pump runs the unit. This heavy-duty compressor is very loud, but it’s also one of the best on our list. Heavy and large, the compressor will arrive on a pallet and several men or specialized equipment will be required to properly relocate the model.
This is a great, non-portable air compressor.
Buyer’s Guide – How To Choose The Right Vertical Air Compressor For You
You’re making an investment in your time – that’s a great reason to buy an air compressor. It’s common for people to purchase power tools and not realize they need an air compressor to operate them.
Speed and power allow for compressors to provide versatility when in use.
You can use these compressors for a variety of needs, from power tools to car repair and even tire inflation in many cases. Vertical air compressors offer the benefit of having a larger holding capacity, which allows for extended usage.
When trying to buy the right vertical compressor, you’ll want to keep the following points in mind:
- Size: How big is the compressor? How heavy is the compressor? Many of these units use cast iron and can weigh several hundreds of pound, which makes them difficult to move unless they have wheels or you have another piece of equipment to help.
- Price: How much can you afford to spend? If you have little-to-no budget, it may be worthwhile to buy a smaller unit. The price of a compressor goes up dramatically when considering PSI and tank sizes.
- Electrical Demands: The electrical demands of some of the larger compressors is enough to pop a fuse in the circuit breaker. Always check the demands and reviews to see if a person needed to modify their electrical output to power a compressor. In some cases, this may be more power than you need out of your compressor.
Air compressors are a great accessory when doing construction or working on automobiles. The power and speed of the compressor reduces the time of the project dramatically while also providing precision.